Provides monthly financial support, in the form of a check, direct deposit, or debit card, to low-income families whose minor children live in the home.
- TANF benefits are available for no more than 60 months in a lifetime.
- Assistance in another state counts towards the 60 month allotment.
- Unless exempt, recipient must participate in an employment program (Virginia Initiative for Employment not Welfare – VIEW) and look for employment.
- If enrolled in VIEW, TANF is limited to 24 months.
- Arlington residency must be verified. Everyone in the household must be listed on the application.
- Family must have a child under the age of 18, or if 18 will graduate from high school before age 19. All related children must be included in the application.
- Children must be living with a parent or other relative. If the parent is in the home, the parent must apply even if someone else has custody.
- Every eligible family member must be a U.S. citizen or eligible immigrant. At least one child must meet this requirement.
- Children between the ages of 5 – 18 must attend school regularly.
- Children must be fully immunized unless there is good cause for not being up to date with immunizations.
- A Social Security number or proof of application is required for each family member.
- Cooperation with the Division of Child Support Enforcement in establishing paternity and obtaining child support from absent parents, if applicable, is required unless good cause exists for non-cooperation.
- Face to face interview may be required.
Monthly Gross Income Limits
|Household Size||At application, compare income to 185% of Standard of Assistance|
|Each additional||+ $123|
How to Apply
Apply in person or mail application to:
Bureau of Assistance Programs
2100 Washington Boulevard, 1st Floor
Arlington, VA 22204
Call 703-228-1350 to have an application mailed to you
Fax application and documents required to 703-228-1011
Required documents include, but may not be limited to:
- Complete Department of Social Services Application for Benefits
- Verification of citizenship. Verification of alien status for each person not born in the U.S.
- Verification of address, and that each child lives with the applicant
- Verification of birth date for each child
- Verification of relationship of the child to the applicant
- Verification of income
- School attendance verification for each child of school age
- Verification of immunizations for each child not attending school