Arlington County has a core network of interconnected programs and services (called a Continuum of Care, or CoC) to assist people who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless.
- The CoC includes County government programs/services and non-profit organizations.
- It provides a foundation for the broader community partnership working toward the shared goals of preventing homelessness before it occurs and returning homeless individuals and families to stable housing as quickly as possible.
- Arlington County Continuum of Care program areas and operating entities are listed below.
CoC Membership Application
Please complete this membership form if you would like to be a member of the Arlington County Continuum of Care (CoC). Send the completed forms by mail, e-mail or fax to Mary Kenion, Continuum of Care Coordinator, Arlington County Department of Human Services | 2100 Washington Blvd., 3rd Floor, Arlington VA, 22204, email@example.com, Fax: (703) 228-1169.
Street Outreach and Engagement
Service workers connect with persons living on the streets, in parks, under bridges and in encampments to help put individuals on the path to stability and housing.
A-SPAN (Arlington Street People’s Assistance Network) operates the street outreach program and Opportunity Place drop-in center.
Shelter Diversion and Targeted Prevention
Efforts to divert/prevent homelessness before it occurs are anchored in two programs:
- Shelter Diversion is a strategy that helps people experiencing a housing crisis quickly identify and access safe alternatives to emergency shelter through creative problem-solving conversations, connecting with community resources and family supports, housing search and placement, and flexible financial assistance.
- Targeted Prevention services are provided by the Department of Human Services in the Clinical Coordination Program (CCP). It provides short-term housing stabilization services (financial assistance and case management) to households to those at imminent risk of losing housing. Arlington Thrive provides same-day emergency financial assistance to Arlington residents facing a financial crises that could lead to eviction.
Five Arlington County homeless shelters provide a safe, structured environment for singles and families who are Arlington residents experiencing homelessness. Access to all shelters except the Domestic Violence Safehouse is facilitated through the Centralized Access System (CAS) within the Clinical Coordination Unit (CCU) at DHS – 2100 Washington Blvd 1st Fl. In case of shelter need during non-business hours, households should call 703-228-1010 for assistance.
- Homeless Services Center for individuals (A-SPAN)
- Sullivan House Family Shelter (Bridges to Independence)
- Freddie Mac Foundation Family Home and Domestic Violence Program Safehouse (Doorways for Women and Families)
- Residential Program Center year-round shelter for individuals (Volunteers of America-Chesapeake)
Rapid Re-housing programs provide provides short-term rental assistance and services to help people who are literally homeless obtain housing quickly, increase self-sufficiency, and stay housed.
Two transitional housing programs provide housing and services to help Arlington families and individuals get ready for permanent housing. These programs are site-based.
- Residential Program transitional housing for single mothers and children (Borromeo Housing)
- Independence House transitional housing for individuals recovering from substance abuse (Phoenix Houses of the Mid-Atlantic)
Permanent Supportive Housing
Permanent supportive housing programs provide rental assistance and case management services for households who are homeless and have members with a disabling condition.
- Department of Human Services (this program also serves youth transitioning out of foster care)
- New Hope Housing
- Volunteers of America Chesapeake
- Arlington County Centralized Access System Policies and Procedures
- FY18 Arlington CoC HMIS Governance
- CoC Membership Application Form FINAL Draft
- Arlington County CoC Governance Charter – Rev. July 2018